Saturday 5 May 2012

Week 35 - Spring has finally sprung

Ever since I have been back, things have just been a 'business as usual' sort of routine.  I can tell that both the teachers and the students are beginning to wind down.  It has been a pretty long year and everyone is starting to feel it (except for myself maybe?).

One of the interesting things that happened last week was the fact that we had an oil leak in the school.  The school was closed from Friday April 27 until Tuesday May 1 to clean up and air out the building.  We went back to school on the Tuesday afternoon, and although the smell was still evident, it was not unmanageable.  These circumstances effectively gave everyone a 4.5 day weekend.  I'm still not sure whether this is a good thing or not since the students are much more difficult to handle when we have these non-routine weeks.  Instead of rest, everyone decides it's time for fun! and they all come to school even more tired than if we had actually had a normal school week. ie: less school = more tired kids

The second exciting thing that happened this week was the fact that Spring has finally arrived (although today's weather is no indication of that).  We managed to get temperatures in the +5C to +9C range and a LOT of the snow has begun to melt.  This is great, but there are some annoying consequences.  Water and Mud, and we have a lot of both.  Around town, the municipal workers use heavy machinery to actually redesign the landscape so that the water does not pool and actually flows downhill into the bay.  It's actually very interesting, but can also be very annoying when the path you walked to school is no longer there when you walk home for lunch.  I was going to post some comparative pictures, but having forgot my camera cable in Ontario, I have to wait a little bit.

Finally, I though I would show a little comparison of a fewof weather screenshots I took this year.

December 6, 2011



March 4, 2012
May 5, 2012

Take a look at the Sunrise and Sunset times.  I unfortunately cut that part off on my December screenshot, but the sun was rising at about 8:15am and it set at about 2:45pm.  It's interesting to see the kind of change we get over the year.

At any rate, I am approaching the end of my time here.  In 6 weeks I will be preparing for my final 3 days in George River.


No comments:

Post a Comment